Saturday 22 August 2015

What a Privilege

This mildly intriguing headline caught my eye on the Telegraph Motoring site:

Beware the silver Honda – the new menace of our time

Wow.  So I read on.  I mean, what could be so menacing about a car favoured by the more elderly driver?

Here's the story.  The gist is that a recent survey has found that British people find the type of car that commits the most offences is a silver Honda.  That is their wording by the way - I know that the drivers commit the offences - not usually the cars.

I suppose that there could just be one very prolific bad driver out there who lives near to where the survey was conducted and who happens to have a silver Honda.

Apparently, Audi drivers – who I would have put top – came top in just two areas: tailgating, and pulling out too slowly from junctions.  Tailgating most definitely and replace the word "slowly" with "quickly" and I'll agree the second point too.

So I decided to try and find out a bit more about the survey, described in the story as being "compiled by Privilege car insurance".

I couldn't find that survey but I did find a link to this Mirror story from July.  This stated that Lincoln and Portsmouth were the worst British cities for road-rage and that "Men aged 69, 79 and 50 are the top three worst offenders while women aged 39 are fourth most likely"  I turn 50 next year and my in-laws live in Manchester which came 10th in the city category so I'll need to be extra careful when visiting them for Christmas 2016.  This is all "according to a study by insurance firm Privilege."

I also found a link to a Huffington Post story from May declaring that "Women Are Better Drivers Than Men, According To A New Survey."  Clearly wrong, but that's beside the point - guess who the survey was by.  If you just guessed Aviva, re-read this post and try again.

I guess it must be cheaper to conduct a quick survey and send it as a story to a media outlet than to do good old-fashioned advertising.

But is it as effective?

Our survey says "NO".

No comments:

Post a Comment