Tuesday 24 January 2012

Keep the Thickos off the Streets!

A couple of stories from the online Torygraph Motoring Section have caught my eye. I do check out that site from time-to-time but not as often as when James May used to write for it. He still appears there but stopped writing quite a while ago - they said he was taking a holiday and put out some of his old classic articles to keep the punters happy. Now it just says that "he is taking a back seat" and they haven't touched his section since last September.

Anyway, back to the stories: This Monday, it got harder to pass your driving test! What this means is that you can no longer trust the questions from your Driving Test Theory exam (which you have to pass before you take the important practical part) to come from a set list that you can revise. This will particularly upset the chap from the other story that they published today. They describe him as "unlucky" - I'd describe him as "thick" - he's managed to fail the theory test 92 times! He clearly does not have the wherewithall to grasp the understanding of road-craft or hazard perception and should not be allowed out on the road.If he had been taking his test back in my day, he would not have to show any more intelligence than answering a couple of questions at the end of driving around for half-an-hour and, if I remember correctly, they couldn't fail you if that was the only bit you got wrong. How many other thickos are our there causing chaos because they passed in my day? Am I one such thicko?

At least I took a driving test (in fact I took two!) There's another generation older than me (Nicholas Parsons is an example) who were given licences because they drove a bit while in the Military.

The only thing you can say for Mr.I've-Failed-92-Times is that at least he is being honest and legal about it - some would give up and just drive anyway - like certain individuals who can't afford to, or don't want to, pay for Insurance.

As any good Telegraph reader would say "Lock them up and throw away the key!"

No comments:

Post a Comment