Friday 4 March 2011

Bristol's Gone Tits Up

Nothing for ages then two stories from Autocar on consecutive days.
Bristol Cars have gone into Administration. Unfortunate but not surprising given their attitude towards their clientelle. They almost chose their customers - only selling vehicles to people they approved of - usually landed gentry or ex-RAF types or pipe-smokers.

But probably not Bill Bailey.

Groucho Marx once said "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member" but for me the reverse is true - I'd refuse to join any club that discriminated against Groucho - and I'm no Marxist.

When I'm a famous film writer/actor/dirctor I'll only go to the post-Oscar party that lets in the plebs.

There will be many reasons for Bristol failing - not least the current economic climate. I've been looking out for the new 11-Reg cars that were let loose on Tuesday and so far, I've still only spotted one - it was still a Punto.

Another reason would be Bristol's reputation. They make old-fashioned cars and are snooty.

A third reason could be the looks of the cars. The Fighter looks like a TVR from the '90s. The Blenheim looks like a Ford from the '80s. The Blenheim Speedster looks like an Austin Healey from the '60s and the Series 6 looks like a Fiat from the same period. Check them out at the Bristol Website.

So what now? Who would want to buy them? VW are in the market for more brands. (Check out that link to see where I've just cut-and-pasted the last bit of this article from) I don't see any of the large manufacturers needing Bristol unless some of the Malaysians or Koreans just wanted the name.

Whoever takes it on (and I suppose I hope someone does - Bristol Cars is something like "Songs of Praise" or "The Archers" - I have no interest in them but am glad they are there) will have to change the Bristol philosophy to advertising and to letting the motoring media loose on their products. They make lots of claims about the performance and driving experience but don't seem to want it verified or reviewed. They need more customers and more publicity. If you search Google Images for pipe-smokers you get an awful lot of dead people: Harold Wilson, J.R.R.Tolkien, Douglas Bader, Amos & Mr.Wilks from Emmerdale Farm.

Curiously, you also get some pretty girls smoking pipes - I think that must be a particular fetish.

Anyway Bristol, YOU NEED TO CHANGE YOUR CUSTOMER BASE! This lot won't keep you afloat:

No comments:

Post a Comment