Wednesday 12 October 2011

Commuting at 80mph

I'm combining a couple of stories here.

The BBC had a reasonably interesting article today about how Americans are commuting a lot more nowadays highlighting a particular poor woman who has a 2-hour commute in each direction - although it might be better if she didn't use public transport.

It made me think of my own commute which I think I actually enjoy. It's a 25 minute 22-mile journey on motorway and good A Roads which takes me into and then out of Wales through nice bits of countryside. The only downside is, once a week, someone places a dead badger on the side of the A548.

Or, I suppose the badgers living near that road just don't cope well with traffic and it is just coincidence that one a week is being hit.

This compares with my old commute which was only 12.5 miles but took about the same time because it involved a tunnel and lots of city roads and traffic lights - yuk. Oh yes, and driving towards a blinding sun every Spring and Autumn. Never find work East of your home.

My commute would be marginally quicker if I did the motorway bit at 80mph but I wouldn't enjoy it as much and my fuel consumption would definitely suffer. There has been quite a bit of media coverage, even as far afield as Australia, of Government proposals to increase the motorway speed limit from 70 to 80mph.

My good friend in Scotland blogged this subject at the weekend and I added my 2 cents worth for good measure. Then this week, as reported in Autocar and Fifth Gear, Chris Huhne, Government Energy Secretary and prominent Liberal Democrat, came up with the idea that the 80mph limit could perhaps only apply to electric vehicles.

Twerp.

There are so many arguments as to why this is such a stupid idea but how about trying to police it for one.

Also, will Audi drivers be able to buy a stick-on plug socket to make their cars look electric?

Also, how many EVs will run out of juice on the motorway third lane?


I suppose that if you are caught driving your petrol-engined car at 80mph you could always pretend that someone else was driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment