Wednesday 3 November 2021

Braking Bad

Many years ago - mid-Eighties in fact - while sat in my driving instructor's 1983 Toyota Starlet, I was informed what you are supposed to do when you bring a vehicle to a stop - for example at traffic lights.
This is not that car - wrong country for a start - but it is about the right vintage and I think the colour is right too.

I was informed that when you bring your vehicle to a halt, you should apply the handbrake and put the transmission in to Neutral (or Park if it is an automatic)

I was informed correctly - this Driving Instructor's blog quotes the recommended manual on the subject and states why you should do it.

SO WHY DON'T PEOPLE DO IT?

This evening I was plagued by roadworks with traffic lights and took these stills from my Dashcam:





The second and third pictures are the same car - I was stuck in the same stream of traffic for two changes of the lights.

My handbrake was applied and my car was in Neutral at the time of each of these stills.

The problem is blindingly obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment