Wednesday 10 April 2019

Supremely White

I used to regard myself as part of a group known as The Superwhite Army.

I don't associate with them any more.

But this isn't a Liam Neeson moment.
I mention it because of this BBC story about an American University professor who is annoyed that the California DMV won't let him have "COYW" on his license plate.
 
COYW stands for "Come on You Whites".
 
They say it is racist.
 
These are the "whites" in question:
The more observant of you will have noticed that quite of few of them are black.  Fulham Football Club play in white so are regularly referred to as "The Whites."  The prof, Jonathan Kotler, is an avid supporter and thought it entirely reasonable to have a plate with COYW on it.
 
I tend to agree with him.
 
I like his argument statement, "I pointed out that many clubs in Britain are known by their colour - the blues, the clarets. Nobody thought the Liverpool reds were communists."
 
Incidentally, I fell out of love with The Superwhite Army (aka Tranmere Rovers FC fans) when the team got relegated from the old League 1 at the turn of the Century.
 
Fulham are also doomed to relegation this season.
 
Meanwhile, here is a story about a white California Police Officer chasing a black girl down a street: 


No comments:

Post a Comment