Sunday 18 July 2021

Sprinting Ahead?

Today is the British Grand Prix.

Years ago I would have been very excited by this event.

Today. Not so much.

I gave up on F1 when they sold out to Sky and from what I've heard and read on the subject, the races themselves became more processional and therefore more boring as the years went by.  If you look back at my posts around 2011 you see how disgruntled I got.

However, I found myself in a pub yesterday afternoon and the they were showing the inaugural Sprint Race Qualifying - and it felt a bit like a single-seater Touring Car Race:

That is a good thing.

OK, most of the action happened at the start they they settled down to more of a procession.  But at least there was some action - and there were still some decent overtaking moves later on.

Here's the take of the BBC's Chief F1 writer Andrew Benson.

I struggled recognising the Teams. I suspect it is still the same ones as when I used to watch but they've been renamed.  Alpine is obviously Renault while AlphaTauri seems to be Toro Rosso.  Meanwhile, Haas seem to be the Cannon-Fodder-Team-Making-Up-The-Numbers Team who go bust every year to be reborn again.  And always come last.

So - do I watch the race today?

Not unless I find myself in a pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment