Tuesday 8 October 2019

Breathing Queasy

Here's a piece from the BBC about school-runs and pollution.

It asks the question about which method of transport causes least toxin inhalation in our primary school-age children - walking, cycling, or car-ing.

If I hadn't seen a similar experiment on another programme I'd have said the bikes would be the worst because you are physically on the road and doing serious exercise.

However, I had seen that programme so knew that the car is worst.  The bad air gets sucked in through the grille and trapped in the car for the occupants to enjoy.

Now my car has a nice AM button which doesn't change the radio from FM but instead allows me to choose between Automatic, Manual or no air recirculation:
A sensor detects pollutants in the outside air and controls the shut-off automatically if in A Mode (which mine always is) - I don't know if this would be enough to protect me and my passengers if I was asked to participate in a school-run.

Looks like I need to get the Mr.Sheen out though.

Maybe we all need the help of Veolia - a company who state on their Website that "We're innovators committed to focusing on carbon reduction by preventing pollution, preserving natural resources, protecting biodiversity, combating climate change and raising environmental awareness."

Or maybe not:

No comments:

Post a Comment